The UK and Australia have changed the restrictions around their Working Holiday Visas available to young people from each country. The Visa changes could affect a big group of people who want to travel and work.
Australia & UK Working Visa Changes
The two countries have relaxed the rules governing how the young people from either the UK or Australia apply for and operate their working visa in the other country. The changes are a result of the Australia-UK Free Trade Agreement.
UK to Australia – Working Holiday Maker: Visa Subclass 417
Subclass 417 is the visa that UK passport holders apply for (also called Working Holiday Maker). Two things have changed:
- The age limit for applicants has increased from 30 to 35. That’s your age at the moment of application. You can apply up to the day before turning 36. The programme opened Saturday 1 July 2023.
- Under subclass 417, you can now be granted up to 3 Working Holiday visas without having to take on a regional job, such as farm work, which you had to do previously. That part kicks in from the 1st of July 2024.
Top Sydney Excursions
Australia to UK – Youth Mobility Scheme
The YMS or Youth Mobility Scheme visa is changing for Australian applicants.
- From 31 January 2024, Australian passport holders will be able to apply for the UK's Youth Mobility Scheme if they are aged between 18 and 35 (previously 30).
- Australians will be able to stay and work for 2 years AND then apply for a one year extension (3 years). This rule applies from 31 January 2024.
Top Phillipines Excursions
Add a comment below if you have a general question about these visas.
If I had a Working Holiday Visa for Australia before, can I apply for a second Working Holiday Visa?
The short answer is: yes, if you meet a series of conditions that the Australian government have laid out, including:
- Have held a previous Working Holiday Visa (probably subclass 417)
- Meet the age limits (for some countries 18-30, for others 18-35)
- Have met the work requirements
- Pay the application fee of $635 AUD
The second WHM visa is 12 months in duration, and permits you to do short-term work, study (up to 4 months), enter/exit Australia, AND do some specific work that would make you eligible for a THIRD Working Holiday visa.Read more on the IMMI / Australian Government website